Monday, April 14, 2008

Our last night in Manila


Monday 14th April
We've had visits to the Child Protection Unit, and two detention centres. If a child is found to be 'at risk' they are referred to this protection unit. The same thing exists in England, except 30 million children here are 'at risk'. Very few actually go through the correct process. We also were shown where families are detained after street clean-ups. Once in the centre, they are segregated. Another centre housed youths awaiting trial. All very sad places.
We did however, have a fun time on our last evening. We took the Malate Centre staff to a Chinese meal then saw a dance show at a nearby Filipino restaurant. The dancing girls spotted the talent in the restaurant and Ian, Simon, Tim Bustin, Chris, Katy and Becca all wiggled their hips on stage. We even had Ian and Simon doing the hula dance in grass skirts and bikini tops. Photo not provided....for obvious reasons!!! (Its' far too funny for a blog like this!)
Tomorrow we will buy some musical instruments for the Malate centre and also look for a birthday present for one of the boys who will turn 17 tomorrow. We fly at 11.15 tomorrow night.
See you soon
love from Mrs K , Miss AK and Miss B x

5 comments:

Herbert Family said...

Oh how I WISH I could have seen my husband dance in a hula skirt! I would have paid good money to see that. I am sure all the staff had a good laugh at his expense!
I am glad that you have had such fun in the evenings....I know from many years of listening to Ian that some light relief is very necessary after experiencing often difficult things during the day. I know that he feels very proud of you all. Safe journey home, Beccy x

Herbert Family said...

Oh how I WISH I could have seen my husband dance in a hula skirt! I would have paid good money to see that. I am sure all the staff had a good laugh at his expense!
I am glad that you have had such fun in the evenings....I know from many years of listening to Ian that some light relief is very necessary after experiencing often difficult things during the day. I know that he feels very proud of you all. Safe journey home, Beccy x

Anonymous said...

While you are all enjoying your last night in Manila ( subject to time differences ) we are going to be boogeying-on-down to the APCM at SMB. Rumour has it that what is left of the staff team are also going to be dancing in hula hula skirts!!!! We will have to compare photos.

For obvious reasons this post is anonymous !!!

looking forward to seeing you all soon.

love ????

Catherine Wittle said...

Katy- what are u doing in that picture hun? :-) Hula sounds like fun! Would love to see those photos!! Can't wait to see you all when you get home!!

Lots of Love
Catherine

Herbert Family said...

Hey Guys

Heard you had fun with the Hula dancing:) Wish i was there to see it! Gosh Dad why do you have to be soooooo embarassing! Hope you all have a great last day
Love JESS
xxx