Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Day of Contrasts



So ... what can I say about this extraordinary day? This morning the hell on earth that is Smoky Mountain, this evening a visit to what claims to be the largest mall in Asia, built since my last visit. Smoky Mountain is appaling, how can human beings live like that? The Mall of Asia is HUGE, at least one and a half times the size of MK Centre.

It is difficult to understand, except that the Mall has been built with foreign money and the country is bankcrupt ... owing billions of dollars from the Marcos years to foreign countries, no doubt including our own.

I don't know what the answer is ... but I do know this, Kanlungan makes a difference - a HUGE difference to the lives of the children it serves. Just because we cannot solve it all does not absolve from the responsibility to do what we can. For example, Streetlight money is taking one family from Smoky Mountain and providing the bus fare so they can make a new life back in their home province. But one day there will be justice ... there HAS to be justice.

It has been an enormous priveledge to spend these days with the staff and children of Kanlungan. I'm so grateful to Ate Sol and all at Kanlungan for the way they have looked after me for the last week. I have certainly not been out here 'on my own'! I also would like to thank Helen, Michael & Zac for letting me visit here - though I am looking forward to seeing you all again! Thanks are also due to those who have walked this way before me, especially Ian, Malcolm & Terry. Thanks to all who have read my blog and / or commented on it - its been great to have your prayers and your support. But most of all I am grateful to God that he has brought this opportunity to my life - not something I ever looked for or expected.

So tomorrow it will be time to head home. My flight details (for those who are interested!) are:

Depart Manila 2:15pm UK (9:15pm Philippines) Lufthansa LH 745
Arrive Frankfurt 4:20am (11:20am)

Depart Frankfurt 7:30am (2:30pm) LH 4722
Arrive Heathrow 8:05am (3:05pm)

See you soon (to my friends in the UK!)
Hope to see you again before too long (to my friends in the Philippines!)

Mark

PS I'm not very good at doing this subtly so ... if you not already doing so, please consider supporting Streetlight!!! Or even better, don't consider it ... do it!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...powerful stuff! Its great to know that through Streetlight a difference can be made... Thanks Mark for your blog -have a good trip back.
Shrimpo