Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Mean Streets

Been out on the streets today. Even though I have done this before, it never loses its capacity to shock. I simply can't imagine what it must be like to live like that, but it was a fascinating insight into how the streets work.

I went with one of the street educators - and was very impressed with how well he knows his patch. He knows all the families, which brought home to me that these are not nameless 'street people' but a real community made up of real people, scratching out an existence on the absolute edge of the global economy. The trouble is, its always the children who suffer the most.

You might be sitting reading this and thinking 'that's terrible but there is nothing I can do about it'. Well, you would be right that it is terrible, but wrong that there is nothing you can do. You can pray ... and you can give. Check out the Streetlight Trust website for more details.

Many thanks

Mark

PS I've listed a short video on YouTube of children singing 'Our God is a Great Big God' - which has kind of become my theme song! Its not been processed yet but when it does I will provide a link here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark

Sounds like ur having an amazing time. Say hello to everyone out there from me!

God bless

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark

Just can't imagine children living on the streets-went into MK this afternoon with Jo and the grandsons-dozens of children enjoying their Easter holidays on the bouncy castle in Middleton Hall. Then I read about your day...puts everything into perspective-how blessed am I and my family. Yes I can pray and i will.
Sheila P

Anonymous said...

Hi mark,

it all sounds so amazing, say hi to everyone out there from me please.

Rebekka